Wednesday, May 29, 11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. | Orange County Convention Center-Valencia D
Kikkan Randall won Olympic Gold in cross country skiing for the U.S. in Pyeongchang. Two months later, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. As it happens, breast cancer treatment was not Kikkan’s first time exercising with a medical condition. Come hear Kikkan’s extraordinary story, and for a conversation between Kikkan, EIM founder Bob Sallis and Moving Medicine director Natasha Jones. They’ll discuss how healthcare professionals can help shape the exercise habits of their patients, even if they aren’t Olympic Gold Medalists.
Kikkan Randall, U.S. Olympic Gold Medalist in Cross Country Skiing
Natasha Jones, M.D., Project Lead, Moving Medicine UK
Bob Sallis, M.D., FACSM, Founder, ACSM’s Exercise is Medicine
Kathryn H. Schmitz, Ph.D., M.P.H., FACSM, FTOS, ACSM President
Saturday, June 1, 12:00-1:45 p.m. | Orange County Convention Center-205
Cancer survivors, caregivers, and community members are invited to join the American College of Sports Medicine and its members in a cancer-themed day at this year’s Annual Meeting. This event aims to deliver the latest science in the field of Exercise Oncology, geared towards professionals and community members alike. The session will feature two President’s lectures specific to exercise and cancer, a screening and discussion of “Phil’s Camino”, an inspirational story of a cancer survivor’s journey, and a unique opportunity for cancer survivors and community members to engage with world-renowned scientists studying exercise oncology.
Noon-12:30 p.m. – Networking (CC-205 Foyer)
12:30-1:00 p.m. – Viewing of the film “Phil’s Camino” – A story of resiliency and hope. A Stage IV cancer patient learns to heal himself by walking and credits walking with changing his life. An inspirational story for anyone who ever dreamed of doing something that seemed impossible.
1:00-1:45 p.m. – Discussion
Saturday Cancer Sessions:
• G-06 – Tutorial Lecture: New Developments in Cancer Prevention and Control: The Importance of Moving More and Sitting Less
8:00-8:50 a.m. | Room: CC-205
• G-10 – Clinical Workshop: Hands On Demonstration – Skin Cancer and Infections in the Athlete
8:00-8:50 a.m. | Room: CC-304E
• G-20 – Thematic Posters: Exercise and Physical Activity in Cancer Survivors
9:00-11:00 a.m. | Room: CC-102B
• G-24 – Tutorial Lecture: Exercise Oncology: Evidence based Practice and Practice-based Evidence
9:00-9:50 a.m. | Room: CC-205
• G-31 – Tutorial Lecture: Weight Bench to Bedside: The Importance of Muscle Mass in Cancer Outcomes & Side Effects
10:10-11:00 a.m. | Room: CC-205
• G-42 – Free/Communication Posters: Cancer
7:30-11:00 a.m. | Room: CC-Hall WA2
• G-44 – President’s Lecture: Molecular and Metabolic Mechanisms Underlying the Exercise-Cancer Link
11:15 a.m.-12:05 p.m. | Room: CC-205
• G-45 – President’s Lecture: Prehabilitation for Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery: Ready for Prime Time?
11:15 a.m.-12:05 p.m. | Room: CC-204